Fowler’s Theory of Faith Development
About the Author
Dr. James Fowler wrote book Stages of Faith in 1981, which highlights the developmental process in “human faith”.
Printable Summary (PDF)
Stages, Levels, Phases, and Components of the Theory
Stages, Levels, Phases, and Components of the Theory: Six Stages of Development
- Stage 1: Intuitive-projective Faith
- Stage 2: Mythic-literal Faith
- Stage 3: Synthetic-conventional Faith
- Stage 4: Individuative-reflective Faith
- Stage 5: Conjunctive Faith
- Stage 6: Universalizing Faith
Application of Theory to Practice
Annotations of Associated Literature
This page was written and created by Ashlie Baty. Please use the comment section below to ask questions, provide reflection, discussion and/or feedback. To contact directly about this page, please see Ashlie Baty at firstname.lastname@example.org.